Coming out of screen lock mode

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Dec 16 13:24:52 UTC 2011

Hi!

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 10:51:03AM +0100, Alain Muls wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu 11.10 using Unity.
> I like the unity interface but I have since a couple of weeks a major
> problem.
>
> Sometimes when the screen is locked (screensaving mode), the system
> will not redisplay.
> Everything is still running (eg. a script continues to run) but the
> X-display is black with only a mouse cursor visible.

Sounds like a bug I've seen a few times.  Do you know what video card
you have?  ('lspci|grep VGA' in a terminal is probably the simplest way
to check)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/793893

> Is there anything I can change?

What used to help me was killing and restarting compiz.  I'd switch to a
text console with Ctrl+Alt+F1, log in, killall -9 compiz, restart compiz
on the console with DISPLAY=:0 compiz, switch back to the GUI with
Ctrl+Alt+F7, which should be working now, and then restart unity for
good measure (Alt+F2, unity, Enter).  Then switch back to Ctrl+Alt+F1
and log out from the text console, and go back to the GUI with
Ctrl+Alt+F7 again.

Annoying, as you can see, but perhaps a bit less annoying than
rebooting.

Marius Gedminas
--
Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT.  You feel sleepy.  Notice how
restful it is to watch the cursor blink.  Close your eyes.  The opinions