how do i delete my home on root partition?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Dec 16 03:06:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 18:28 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/15/2011 06:16 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> > On 12/15/2011 05:29 PM, Sushil Mantri wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am using a new disk for my home, but i am not able to reclaim the
> >> space my old home has on the root partition.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Sushil
> >>

> > I'm just another random stranger on the Internets, but first thing to
> > say, completely ignore the previous two replies to this query.  (What
> > are people smoking?)
> >
> > The easiest way to do this will be to boot from a Live CD (the Ubuntu
> > Desktop install cd should work fine), use the file manager to find and
> > open your root partition and delete the contents of home from here.
> > (Don't delete the home folder itself,  you still need the /home on the
> > root partition as a mount point.)
>
> Which is exactly what this does without booting to a liveCD:
> $ sudo rm -R /home/<oldhome>
----
umm... no because he has a 'new' disk which is mounted at /home which
obscures all of the files that actually reside in /home on his original
disk... the ones he actually wants to delete.

If there wasn't any user logged in, you could probably
<Control><Alt><F2> switch to a virtual console and login as root (root
would actually need a password to do this). Then as root, you would
'umount /home', rm -fr /home/* and then 'mount /home'

But the trick is to make sure that the 'new disk' containing '/home'
isn't mounted.

I think the Live CD is easier.

Craig

believed to be clean.