Open Office and / or Libre Office

LinuxIsOne reallife at hmamail.com
Thu Dec 15 10:52:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:09 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I hope that I am misinterpreting what you are saying.  I hope you are
> not saying that your backup is on /home.  You should have an entirely
> separate backup of important data on removable media or a separate
> machine.  An upgrade or re-install should not affect /home but there
> is always the possibility of something going wrong.  When doing a
> re-install for example you might click the wrong button and tell it to
> reformat /home.  Also any disk could go up in smoke at any time.

You are not misinterpreting but I am since I understood something
different (silly me). I was saying that my partition is /home which is
a separate and whatever I keep on it, is itself acting like backup
(since it is a separate partition) and while I do either
re-installation (perhaps with low probability, but I cannot say
surely) or up-gradation, only the /root would be formatted not the
/home. But still should I need to take the backup in the separate
media (as you suggest)...., since anything might go wrong (if). Okay I
used to think as if /home is separate, so it won't be in any hard with
re-installation or up-gradation....But your reason is perfect that
even if by mistake it gets formatted, I would not only lose the office
documents, but also all the songs and movies so far downloaded.
Thanks.