Open Office and / or Libre Office

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 10:44:02 UTC 2011

On 12/15/2011 05:12 AM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:

>> I never said it wouldn't work, I'm saying to take these things into
>> consideration before you do, or advise others to do so. Check out my
>> Linux Counter number, I've been around awhile and have seen much blow
>> up in very interesting ways. And, I haven't run into anything I
>> couldn't fix myself without crying, whining and running multiple
>> threads ad nauseum, as I ignorantly proceed to break my own stuff and
>> drag others into the day-to-day unfolding drama.
>
> By the time Precise is released, 10.04 will be unsupported. Again, if
> your concern is that he will need more help than an average user, then
> I would imagine it would make more sense for him to be upgraded to an
> actually-supported release.
>
> The only reason I can think of for anyone to go the long way round from
> 10.04 to 12.04 is a peculiar fondness for the process.

Heh, I don't do either. I make my backups, wipe the drive clean and
install fresh, every time. I keep personal stuff like videos and mp3's,
that I won't DIE over if they did get clobbered by accident, on /opt
which is on a separate partition. Important stuff goes to offline
backup. Since I'm on a stinkin' expensive Hughsnet Sat Dish, installing
from DVD, which I order from on-disk, is quicker than an online upgrade.
But, that's me in my circumstance. Yet, it's rare you'll read of me
having a major problem, especially since I'll wait for the re-spin, then
order a DVD full, not just a CD. It's a breeze. And, nary a burp in the
barrel in the process. I got used to doing it like that back when with
Caldera and it's stuck with me since.

So, I guess we'll see what happens when the opportunity for the LTS to
LTS upgrade presents itself. It will be interesting. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html