Open Office and / or Libre Office

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 15 09:12:32 UTC 2011

On 15 December 2011 06:33, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/13/2011 02:19 AM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Ric, might be Hakan just wrote your name but his intention was something
>>> different I guess. I read and have found LTS to LTS upgradations
>>> successful
>>> too.
>>

>> No, the target is Ric. Spreading FUD is just that. FUD.
>

> Sorry, but I was around during the lost cycle of LTS to LTS and it was a
> bumpy ride FOR SOME, as I mentioned. Not to mention that there was a
> complete update to the filesystem that a clean install would handle where an
> update won't. Grub was also upgraded between the LTS's, and a clean install
> would have incorporated it. Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt??
> Sometimes not a bad thing... if it leads to ~discernment~.
>
> So I would advise a newbie to watch and read about other's attempts first,
> to see if it blew up and how. Someone that has been around awhile just might
> survive the journey better and easier than someone brand new.
>
> Since no one has tried yet, you cannot say that it will work like a cool
> breeze or end in tears. The adage "Fools rush in, where angels fear to
> tread" comes to mind. :) Ric

There is never any harm trying an upgrade rather than re-install.  The
worst that can happen is that you end up having to do the re-install
anyway, so there is nothing lost apart from some time.

That is assuming that you have your backups up to date, which should
be the case whichever route one is taking.

Colin