Problems with starting Xubuntu

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 07:06:45 UTC 2011

On 12/14/2011 04:38 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. I will try the given suggestions. The problem I
> think is the V-freq that is wrong and I hope that the change in
> resolution will work.
> I cannot use lspci as not only the resolution is apparently out of range
> but also the character set used is wrong when in a terminal.
> I let you know if any of the gien solutions work.
> Thanks anyway,
> Joep

IF you can get in via the rescue mode with reduced graphics then using
the "Nvidia X Server Settings Util" will set up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file correctly. Which card do you have? The old 5200 and 5500 cards from
2005 worked fine, once set up correctly. If you cannot get into graphics
at all, then if you can get into terminal mode and try
"nvidia-settings --help" and the -r option might do something useful. If
you have no /etc/X11/xorg.conf this should write out something for you.

Of course you need an nvidia driver installed first. So, if you're in
text mode then try "jockey-text" to install it for you. I think that
will install the nvidia utils for you. If not, sudo apt-get install
nvidia-settings will do that. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html