Manually installing SeaMonkey

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 14 00:29:46 UTC 2011

On 12/13/2011 02:59 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 12/13/2011 04:17 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> It will use the existing ~/.mozilla/seamonkey folder. It will also use
>> the old 2.03 profile if it's still there.
>>

> OK, I still have some info in that profile so to be safe I'll make a
> copy of it before installing. As always thanks for your help.
>
> Regards,  Jim

Given that you are starting/restarting using SeaMonkey again, I'd
recommend going straight to 2.6 beta 3:

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.6b3
[64 bit is at the bottom of the page]

Reason being is that SeaMonkey also follows the rapid release cycle as
the browser is primarily Firefox code, and the mail/nntp client is
slightly modified Thunderbird code. 2.6 will move to release on December 20:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases
You'll be able to update to 2.6b4 from the 'Help|Check for Updates', but
when SM 2.6 goes live, it's best to download the final version as the
update channel is set to beta in this version. The final version resets
it back to standard. Or you can modify it yourself in the
/seamonkey/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js; change "beta" to "release".

If you have a lightning calendar, you'll need version 1.1:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Calendar/Calendar_Versions
Be aware, that you *can't* go back to your old calendar in 2.03 as the
formats & binaries are different. So be sure to back up your calendar
data. Best is to just use a different profile for 2.03 and for 2.6.