Need to create a VPN Tunel

franz.reitinger franz.reitinger at htl-wels.at
Tue Dec 13 20:51:21 UTC 2011

OpenVPN is a great project and systems like Ubuntu offer a comfortable
installation by apt. I've adopted OpenVPN in several installation
because Windows (also Win XP, Win7, 32/64) is supported for free. The
configuration is rather simple & if you will use iptables for
firewalling the OpenVPN-documentation shows same examples for a proper
usage. However - using the routing solution (tun-device) implies to
investigate a little bit work into the iptable-firewalling.

Basically OpenVPN can be used without license for a maximum number of 2
users that are simultaneously connect to the VPN-Server. More details
concerning the license model can be found here
(http://www.openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/pricing.html). The
pricing is rather moderate for a piece of software working without
troubles.

/franzR

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 13:43:16 -0500, Maxime Alarie wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I need to create a vpn tunnel between our main office and our
> European
> branche. I heard we could do that with Linux but I have never
> configured a VPN tunnel with Ubuntu. What would you suggest I use to
> achieve my goal? I see Open VPN, but I am not sure if its free.
>
> Any suggestion are welcome.

> Mail checked by Avira virus scanner (mail.htl-wels.at).

/*
 * Mail checked by Avira virus scanner (mail.htl-wels.at).