Open Office and / or Libre Office

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 15:19:01 UTC 2011

2011/12/11 LinuxIsOne <reallife at hmamail.com>:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> 12.04 will not be released till April next year (year 12 month 04,
>> that is what 12.04 means).
>

> Oh I see.
>

>>  The current version is 11.10 (October
>> 2011)  and LibreOffice is installed as standard.
>

> Okay.
>

>> Note that if you upgrade you go one version at a time, so 10.04 to
>> 10.10 to 11.04 to 11.10.  You might decide that it is easier to
>> re-install.
>

> If I do like this, as you say like first 10.04 -> 10.10 -> 11.04 -> 11.10,
> if I go like this, please suggest me the following queries in this regard:-
>
> 1. Some applications which are default of 10.04 and not in other higher
> versions, would they (all or one) get uninstalled or would remain there...,
> like what would happen of OO?
>
> 2. Is it recommended that I do this or not, means I should do this or
> not...? Since Unity would come ....or something like my present gnome would
> be wiped out...?
>
> 3. I cannot upgrade from LTS to LTS?

Yes, you can. In April 2012.

By the way, sorry for not mentioning the LibreOffice PPA thing. I just
didn't think of it, not sure why…
If it's the same LibreOffice version as the one I suggested, the PPA
is a better choice.

And I also forgot to suggest to first uninstall OpenOffice.org, sorry
for that too. Mailing lists like this are populated by all kinds of
people. People who want to know things and only asks questions, people
like me who know some stuff, but sometimes not enough, people who
knows almost everything and people somewhere in between… It's
sometimes a tough job for those who asks questions to separate poor
answers from the good ones… I'm sure that most of us try the best we
can, though.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ