VirtualBox, problem mounting shared folder

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 8 23:36:44 UTC 2011

On 12/08/2011 01:52 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 8 December 2011 21:37, NoOp ...
>> Is this entire folder shared? That looks to me to be a home directory.
>
> Yes it is a home folder, would that be a problem?

Yes, if the entire home folder is not shared.

> I will try again
> with a subfolder just in case.

Good idea.

>> <http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#sharedfolders>
>
> Those are the instructions I was following
>

>>> (which is on the host) named it host_colinl, checked Auto mount and
>>> Make Permanent.
>>> I re-booted the guest.
>>> I see that it has correctly created the folder /media/sf_host_colinl
>>> but it shows as empty (even with sudo) and in nautilus it does not
>>> show the mounted icon on the folder.
>>
>> I tested a shared folder on a Win7 host / 11.10 guest. The folder does
>> get mounted in /media (/media/sf_tempdir). I selected 'Read-Only' and
>> 'Auto-Mount'. The problem is that the folder is owned by Root so I need
>> to use 'gksu nautilus' to browse it. And use 'sudo' with 'ls':
>>
>> $ sudo ls -al /media/sf_<foldername>

Added myself the vboxsf group, did some updates & needed to reboot to
complete the updates. Shared folder is now full browsable via standard
nautilus.

BTW: In 11.10, to add the old 'Users & Groups' gui, just install:

$ sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

and you're back in business. No need to use the cli to add/delete from
groups.