Configuring Quick Synergy to start automatically

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 8 14:49:37 UTC 2011

On 12/08/2011 06:30 AM, CJ Tres wrote:
> On 12/07/2011 10:29 AM, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> On 12/07/2011 06:26 AM, CJ Tres wrote:
>>> I've found an explanation of edits at
>>> http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/autostart.html that need to be made to
>>> scripts in the Default files in three directories, gdm/Init,
>>> gdm/PostLogin - the third edit is supposed to be made in gdm/Sessions/
>>> but my /gdm has no Sessions folder, only PostSession and PreSession. I'm
>>> using Natty.
>>>

>>> Would the edit then be made in the Deafult script of the PreSession
>>> directory, or is there a Sessions dir that has maybe been moved
>>> somewhere else?... or maybe Sessions now is named differently?
>>>
>>> The instructions are not Ubuntu specific, only for Unix but it covers
>>> xdm/kdm and gdm.
>>> Also it is not clear when the guide was written so I've no idea what
>>> might be different in Ubuntu today.
>>>
>>> Any help?
>>>

>> I've never bothered with QuickSynergy, just Synergy itself. On the host
>> machine, I created ~/.synergy.conf, and added /usr/bin/synergys into
>> Startup Applications.
>> For the clients, I just add /usr/bin/synergyc host's-hostname to it's
>> Startup Applications.
>
> I have very little experience in this area so I'm unsure about one thing.
> Does simply putting sybergyc and synergys into each machine's Startup
> Apps allow the client to connect so another mouse/keyboard isn't necessary?

	They way I've done it, the control doesn't start until I've logged in
to each machine; so a keyboard is needed for that. Not really an issue
for me I have the space to keep the K/M around for each box.
	On the Ubuntu host, I don't want it running at system boot; just once I
login.
	For the Mac, I haven't gotten around to finding where to put the
command, so it's not active at the login screen... yet.
	For the Ubuntu client, I haven't bothered to make it start at system
boot, since it's a laptop right here. But I am curious, so if you find
something, let us know & I'll test.
	For WinXP & the GUI client, it can easily be set to start & work for
login; but it doesn't seem to work for Windows 7 until I log in.
Probably something to do with UAC.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818