how to transfer files between 2 linux computers

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Wed Dec 7 21:22:27 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 19:09 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 12:35 -0500, A. Jorge Garcia wrote:
>
> > (2) then I ran:
> > sshfs guardian at 10.5.254.247:/home/guardian /home/shadowfax/sshfs
> >
> > (3) it asked for the remote passwd and I gave it
> >
> > (4) I got this error:
> > fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied
> >
> > What did I do wrong?
>
> I've got trailing forward slash characters on the end of both directory
> paths in my commands. Could that be it?
>
> Dave

Got the message Jorge that that didn't work.

I'm dredging the dark recesses of my mind and thinking, when I first
started playing around with this, did I have problems relating to the
UID (the number that identifies the user, not the user name) getting
passed over the network from one machine to the other and used instead
of the name?

Does anybody else who might be more experienced/knowledgeable than me
want to jump in on this with info?

Jorge, can you try making a test account on each machine with identical
user names and UID numbers and see if that works? I know something like
this was not working as I expected at some time, it was a PITA, not at
all what I would have expected of Linux, and I never found a
satisfactory solution to it.

Dave