Configuring Quick Synergy to start automatically

David C. Curtis dave.c.curtis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 17:51:49 UTC 2011

On 11-12-07 06:26 AM, CJ Tres wrote:
> I've found an explanation of edits at
> http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/autostart.html that need to be made to
> scripts in the Default files in three directories, gdm/Init,
> gdm/PostLogin - the third edit is supposed to be made in gdm/Sessions/
> but my /gdm has no Sessions folder, only PostSession and PreSession. I'm
> using Natty.
>

> Would the edit then be made in the Deafult script of the PreSession
> directory, or is there a Sessions dir that has maybe been moved
> somewhere else?... or maybe Sessions now is named differently?

My guess would be that Init is where you start synergy for the greeter,
PostLogin is where you shutdown synergy when the greeter goes away (or
whatever gdm does), PreSession is where you restart synergy for the new
Xsession and PostSession is where you would shutdown synergy for
logout/shutdown.

It's been along time since I used it, but IIRC starting synergy for use
with the greeter doesn't carry over to the Xsession. You need to
shutdown synergy postlogin and restart it for the Xsession.