Xournal: how to use for an existing pdf?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 7 03:57:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-12-06 at 08:24 -0500, LinuxIsOne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just installed Xournal, but how can I edit the pdf when I open
> it from Xournal, the eraser etc.. functions are how to be used for
> editing the existing pdf file?
----
I think that you probably need an overview understanding of the PDF
format itself.

A PDF file can incorporate many technologies and depending upon the
contents of a pdf file, various tools (most of them mentioned in the
thread) will have varying ability to edit the pdf file and the one that
is most likely to succeed is Adobe Acrobat itself, which to my
knowledge, is only available for Windows or Macintosh. What you will
find is that Adobe Acrobat is only moderately effective for
maintaining/editing PDF files.

Perhaps the best concept for dealing with pdf files is to consider them
only as a final form document and you use programs such as OpenOffice,
LibreOffice or Scribus as your working documents and then export them to
PDF. Then if you need to update the PDF, you go back to your original
document in the other program, update it and then export to PDF again.

Craig

believed to be clean.