quelcom and mp3 issues - first question

CJ Tres ctres at grics.net
Sat Dec 3 14:48:51 UTC 2011

I need a way to compare my many dirs and subdirs of mp3 (and maybe find
a similar tool for ogg, flac, mp4, shn, wav, etc. files. I'm thinking
something similar to diff but for audio files.

My search for an mp3 tool led to to Quelcom. One of the tools -
qmp3report - says "no valid header found" when testing it one one file.
another, qmp3check says of the same file:
01 Quay Cur.mp3:  The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat  -Quay Cur
01 Quay Cur.mp3: skipped 38 bytes of garbage at the beginning
01 Quay Cur.mp3: layer not supported
2 error files found

The man page for qmp3report says it has only been tested with mpeg
version 1 layer iii streams and that it ("... may or may not) work with
other versions or layers".

My mp3 player info says the track is Mpeg 1, layer 3.

Another tool, qmp3info says:
01\ Quay\ Cur.mp3
01 Quay Cur.mp3: no valid header found
1 file1 error => 0:00.000  0  0 bytes

The first thing I'd like to ask is, does anyone know a better tool for
my need?
I want to compare files and merge directories - or at least find
duplicates and corrupted/incomplete files so I can (hopefully) repair
and organize things.

Also I'd like to know if there is a way to fix the invalid headers I may
find.

TIA
Curt