Using calibre safely?

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 05:18:58 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> On 11/29/2011 01:09 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>

> If you have a Internet facing system, then turn on the firewall.  This
> should *always* be done.  No matter how secure a default install is, it is
> way too easy to unknowingly install a package that listens for incoming
> network connections.
>
> By default, Ubuntu installs UFW.  Basic firewall protection is as simple as
> editing your /etc/ufw.conf file and changing Enabled to yes.

I tried it: edited the config file /etc/ufw/ufw.conf, and rebooted.
My apache2 web server was blocked, in spite of the entry in
/etc/ufw/applications.d.

So I disabled it again.  I'll have to spend more time reading the
documentation.  I find the mixture of configuration lines and commands
to be confusing.  I don't want to have to enter commands every time I
reboot. The bloody thing creates 31 separate tables, and there's a lot
of structure but not much guidance.  Besides that, the stuff in
applications.d has some pretty confusing stuff, which may not even be
used judging by the blocking of apache.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD