Ubuntu loosing its popularity

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 14:44:11 UTC 2011

On 1 December 2011 14:23, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan at koseoglu.org> wrote:
> On 1 December 2011 13:57, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There are at least 2 complete desktop environments that I know of for
>> Linux that are based on pre-Windows-9x OSs: GNUstep and ROX Desktop.
> Long-rant cut clean, GNUStep is a clone of OpenStep,

True.

> which is
> basically a port of Steve Jobs' NextStep.

Er, not really. OpenStep was NeXTStep 4.0, when NeXT moved it from
running only on NeXT hardware to also supporting x86 PCs and (although
it was never released) SUN SPARCstations.

> Even though I used to use *Step WMs in the past, they are borderline
> impossible to use and the only thing they have going for is "well,
> they're not (expletive) Windows/Gnome/Unity/Insert-pet-peeve".

They are a bit weird, yes. :¬)

I think this is one of the reasons there isn't a GNUstep-based distro.
There is a project to enhance GNUstep, make it a bit more
C21-friendly, and build a distro around it, but they've not got
anywhere near a release in 4-5y now:
http://etoileos.com/

> WindowMaker has taken over GnuStep's stagnated remains

Er, no. WindowMaker is a standalone window manager. GNUstep is a set
of class libraries and some apps built with them. It recommends the
WindowMaker desktop but it will run under any Linux WM. They are
totally separate.

> and appears to
> be available for Ubuntu variants. Also GnuStep is still available in
> the Ubuntu repos.

Yes, both are there.

> On the other hand I would rather advise people use
> to use Unity before either of these. Disclaimer: I was an avid
> Windowmaker/*Step user, even on Windows (thanks Cygwin).

Fair enough. I quite like it, myself.

> Still, I wouldn't recommend any Unity-based environment to anyone
> these days under any circumstance. Luckily it happens to be Ubuntu's
> toy.

I've been running it for about 10-11 months now. I really like it.
It's a distinct improvement on GNOME 2 in some ways. (And a backwards
step in others, but hey, it's new and immature.)

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com