Thunderbird icon in Unity launcher

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Aug 30 14:20:56 UTC 2011

I am running a fully updated Natty on my laptop. I downloaded and
extracted a thunderbird tar.bz file to the Apps directory in my home folder.

I followed the directions in the third answer at [1] to put it on the
Launcher and change the icon to a default Thunderbird icon.

[1]
http://askubuntu.com/questions/13758/how-can-i-edit-create-new-launcher-items-in-unity-by-hand

It starts Thunderbird but the Thunderbird icon does not show on the
Launcher.  Its icon always ends up looking like the icon for the
Workplace Switcher. Changing the icon in preferences does not work either.

The proper icon shows in preferences and in the file manager but not on
the Launcher.  When Thunderbird is running the icon in the upper left
corner also looks like the Workplace Switcher icon.

Does anyone know how to make the Thunderbird icon "stick" on the Launcher?

Thanks,  Jim