apt-get: fix deps after a dist-upgrade with ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 29 21:06:31 UTC 2011

On 08/29/2011 12:50 AM, Daniele Guerrieri wrote:
>> No. But...
>> https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3<https://launchpad.net/%7Egnome3-team/+archive/gnome3>
>> <quote>
>> This package contains packages from GNOME3 and their dependencies so
>> they can be used in Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty). This PPA is EXPERIMENTAL and
>> MAY BREAK YOUR SYSTEM. There is no downgrade process.
>> </quote>
>>
> Yes, i just followed a stupid guide on one of the first google results for
> "ubuntu 11 gnome 3"; i thought downgrade was easier.
>
> That also lists all the packages installed. You could put the ones that
>> you have installed (minus the gnome3 ones) into gedit and use that to do
>> one large $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall <package1> <package2> for
>> the packages you currently have installed. But not sure if that will fix
>> everything, but certainly worth a try.
>> gnome-panel isn't installed by default in natty.
>>
>> This is a good idea; now i'm trying with gnome-desktop-environment, if i'll
> have other problems i'll refer to that list.
> how is it possible that gnome-panel isn't installed? when i installed natty
> gnome-panel was installed.

Sorry, I was testing Oneiric at the time I responded. gnome-panel has
been moved to universe in 11.10:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gnome-panel

>> > Is there an option to fix all "important" deps, which isn't apt-get -f ?
>> or
>> > a meta package which holds all GNOME packages (maybe
>> > gnome-desktop-environment)?
>> > How can i revert a wrong dist-upgrade?
>>
>> You could try an in-place reinstall; meaning you reinstall but _don't_
>> allow the install to format. That will leave your /home and /opt folders
>> intact.
>>
> This is the last option for me, i don't want to reinstall everything :)

If you do go that route, be sure to generate a 'marking' list & then you
can reinstall any packages that get left out. See:

<http://helpdeskgeek.com/linux-tips/reinstall-your-ubuntu-apps-after-a-fresh-reinstall/>

for an example in doing this with Synaptic. Of course you can easily do
this via the command line as well:

$ dpkg --get-selections > ~/my-packages
and to put them back:
$ sudo dpkg --set-selections < my-packages && sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade