GIMP problems

Frank McCormick beacon at videotron.ca
Mon Aug 29 19:46:19 UTC 2011

On 11-08-29 03:02 PM, compdoc wrote:
>> I am running GIMP 2.6 on my Maverick partition...and for the
>> past several months the file selector (open file) seems to lockup
>> more often than not.
>
> The program would be scanning drives at that point, so this indicates that
> gimp is having a problem with a drive or volume.

   The file selector comes up...then locks..the bookmarked places are
there...as is the rest of what is normally there.

> For example, it could be trying to read a network share that no longer
> exists. Or it can't find a drive because it no longer exists, or partition
> that's now a different /dev.

   Nope..not networked..and no drive changes.

> Since you mentioned a Maverick partition, I assume you multi boot. Is one
> drive or partition formatted with NTFS, or some other file system not native
> to Ubuntu?

   Nope...three partitions..all with ext3

> There's nothing in gimp's logs?

   I don't see a GIMP log anywhere...but my .xsession.errors file
contains these warnings:

(gimp:10277): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type
`(null)' in cast to `GObject'

(gimp:10277): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(gimp:10277): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type
`<unknown>' in cast to `GObject'

(gimp:10277): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(gimp:10277): Gimp-Widgets-WARNING **: gimp_dialog_factory_dispose:
stale non-toplevel entries in factory->open_dialogs

I have re-installed GIMP ....but the problem remains.

BTW GIMP runs fine on Debian Sid (hda1) and Ubuntu Natty (hda3).

--
Cheers
Frank