Trying to Load Ubuntu 11.04 onto HP Laptop. Failed at reboot

Peter Fitzpatrick Peter at fitzpatrick.net.au
Mon Aug 29 11:12:42 UTC 2011

HI Guys

Thought I would clarify a few things:

Started the Ubuntu experience with a clean 320GB new HDD (removed the
existing working 320GB HDD c/w XP as base machine and 4 x XP VM's) New Drive
is same manufacturer WD as previous.

No matter what I have done the system has failed in the boot process.

HDD is SATA but Ubuntu (when installing and asking about partitions) lists
with a SCSI header.

Native SATA Mode was turned off. Thought I had turned it on yesterday but it
was off again today. Am currently reinstalling Ubuntu with the auto install.
Will advise when done.

Also will try some of the other hints and advise progress.

Peter