[SOLVED] Problem reinstalling Firefox.

Dejan Ribič dejan.ribic at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 09:18:36 UTC 2011

Dne 27.8.2011 0:42, piše NoOp:
> On 08/26/2011 11:03 AM, Dejan Ribič wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>     I've used to have GNU IceCat installed ( removed FF completely )
>> today I decided to reinstall Firefox: but I get the next errors:
>>
>> Setting up firefox (6.0+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.11.04.1) ...
>> update-alternatives: error: readlink(/etc/alternatives/x-www-browser)
>> failed: Invalid argument
>> dpkg: error processing firefox (--configure):
>>    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
>> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of firefox-globalmenu:
>>    firefox-globalmenu depends on firefox (=
>> 6.0+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.11.04.1); however:
>>     Package firefox is not configured yet.
>>
>> I already tried the usual *sudo apt-get install -f* and *sudo dpkg
>> --configure -a* , but I get the same output as above.
>> Can somebody please help me?
> Try:
>
> $ sudo apt-get clean
> for details:
> $ man apt-get
> Note: you can also try '$ sudo apt-get build-depends
>
> Also what do you currently show for:
> $ sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
> you should get some valid choices:
> $ sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
> There are 9 choices for the alternative x-www-browser (providing
> /usr/bin/x-www-browser).
>
>    Selection    Path                                       Priority   Status
>    0            /usr/bin/google-chrome                      200
> auto mode
> * 1            /home/<user>/Seamonkey2.3/seamonkey/seamonkey   20
>   manual mode
>    2            /usr/bin/chromium-browser                   40
> manual mode
>    3            /usr/bin/epiphany-browser                   85
> manual mode
>    4            /usr/bin/firefox                            40
> manual mode
>    5            /usr/bin/google-chrome                      200
> manual mode
>    6            /usr/bin/konqueror                          100
> manual mode
>    7            /usr/bin/opera                              200
> manual mode
>    8            /usr/bin/seamonkey21                        130
> manual mode
>    9            /usr/bin/seamonkey22                        130
> manual mode
>
> Note: Mine is a little unusual as I have multiple installs&  manual
> preferences set (using /usr/sbin/galternatives).

Hi,

   thank you for your help, after an unsuccesful config with
update-alternatives, I decided to do an ls -l /etc/alternatives/, and I
found that x-www-browser wasn't a link, for some reason it was an
ordinary file(and empty one at that) so i decided to delete it, then i
ran *sudo apt-get install -f *again and voila everything worked.

Cheers,

Dejan