Question about updates

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Aug 27 06:31:04 UTC 2011

On 27/08/11 15:42, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 27/08/11 13:35, chris wrote:
>> Maybe it would be a good idea then to start with Latin.:-)
>> <Snip>  especially for Basil:-)
>> das kiwi
>
> Basil? I don't get it. I thought he's named after an Herb.  :)

DING! WRONG!

I am named after Saint Basil the Great, and there is a cathedral
dedicated to me in the Kremlin, thank you very much. So there :-D .

> Oh, his private message....
>
>> On 27/08/11 12:33, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>>
>>> TRENDY pub toilet door signs featuring abstract depictions of gender
>>> should be banned, experts have claimed.

What Goh is referring to here, but did not include, is what is written
here:
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/abstract-toilet-door-signs-creating-nothing-but-embarrassment-201108234225/

>> Yeah, once was confused myself with these funny signs in a pub. I
>> recall one pub with just the words "Romeo" and "Juliet" in one. And
>> it was hilarious when there were not many Shakespearean readers there.
>>
>> Or I do find it amusing when germans prefix the things der, die and
>> das. Could never understand why a dog is masculine, cat feminine or a
>> horse...well neutered; or the Rhine male and Danube female.
>>
>> Warmest regards - Goh Lip
>>
>> ps: I know you are a stickler for obeying list rules    but with you
>> permission, I like my post with your above quoted remarks back on the
>> list. What do you say? I'll post it if you're okay.

To which I replied, "Go ahead :-) ."

I also stated this in my private response to Goh's comments about the
"germans .....things der, die and das.":

QUOTE

Same as in Russian. All female 'objects' end with an "a"; male end with
a consonant; and neuter one with "o". For example, Moskva (Moscow) is
feminine and so is Volga; the river Don is masculine, while okno
(window) is neuter. Which ending is applied depends on who "owns" it: in
English, at least, "my" has only the one meaning, but in Russian "my" is
expressed in 3 ways each depending on the gender of the object (I cannot
write down even phonetically what these 3 ways are).

UNQUOTE

Now everybody knows all the previously unknown and covert details :-) .

BC

--

"Facts are stupid things."

  Ronald Reagan