Question about updates

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 26 23:50:08 UTC 2011

On 08/26/2011 04:14 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Daniel Patrick Sullivan wrote:
>
>> Hi, Ubuntu Users, Is this a generally "accepted" method to apply
>> *only* security updates?
>
> The usual method for changing which repositories are used is to just
> comment out those repositories that you don't want to use, rather than
> going through all the faff of creating a new sources.list.
>
> Personally, I'd be more inclined to use unattended-upgrades and
> instruct that to only install from the security repository, so when you
> do want to upgrade everything, or just install something, you can still
> do it easily. In fact, I'd use all the repos, but I can see that that's
> not something you want to do :)

Personally I'd advise against that. IMO it's *always* better to be able
to view upgrades that are about to be installed first. Further, unless
something like /etc/apt/apt.conf has been created to limit the bandwidth
of the upgrades, you may find that your entire bandwidth is sucked up
during the unattended upgrade. During that period you, your users, your
machine, and anyone else on that download link may slow to a crawl
during the upgrades.