Question about updates

Ioannis Vranos ioannis.vranos at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 20:33:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Daniel Patrick Sullivan
<dansullivan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Ubuntu Users,
>
> Please forgive me if this is somewhat of a noob quesion but I googled
> pretty extensively and I can't seem to get a definitive answer on
> this.  So I am checking with the user community just to be use.
> Basically I have a Ubunutu 10.04 LTS server that I *only* want to
> apply security updates to.  Is this a generally "accepted" method to
> apply *only* security updates?
>
> 1) copy /etc/apt/sources.list to /etc/apt/security.sources.new, and
> remove all lines except "deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
> lucid-security main restricted universe multiverse"
> 2) sudo apt-get upgrade -o Dir::Etc::SourceList=/etc/apt/security.sources.new
>
> Is that a hack?  Is there an easier way to do this?

As far as I know, in Ubuntu, "recommended updates" are bug fixes
regarding the functionality or stability of some software.

I think that unless there was a specific reason not to, I would apply
both security and recommended updates on a server.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net