<OT> ubuntu bad press

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 04:40:29 UTC 2011

Seems Ubuntu is getting kicked around in the online media.
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/72773.html

One thing I have to agree with is that when you dink with your userbase,
it's a recipe for disaster. My peeve is that the LTS version isn't
getting package upgrades to some key applications. Sun Java is falling
way behind in release upgrades. The standard Firefox package for 10.4
has mold on it. I don't want to rely on personal repo's in order to get
a recent package... I'd feel more secure if they were vetted into the
Universe, or whatever. Just' saying I'm having a bad hair day, finding
that I have to go outside the usual channels to get something updated.

Myself, I'd rather see what we have be more rock solid and up to date
than to turn my desktop into a wannabe fondle slab. Canonical is really
going out on a limb with un-asked for improvements. People left Fedora
in droves to come here, after RedHat went past the point of audience
participation. I pray that Uncle Mark keeps his eyes on this
intellectual child of his. I love what Ubuntu has stood for.
My two cents, Ric

Linux user# 44256