firefox 4

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 04:32:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 03:19 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 16:11:05 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>
> > Sitting all comfy back here in the 10.4 easy seats, I find I need to
> > update firefox to version 4. Last time I did that, it lost every darn
> > thing... instead of smoothly transferring itself as I had hoped. A
> > google reveals everyone and their brother with advice. Anyone here know
> > of the most painless route to upgrade firefox? I installed Java version
> > 7 - 64 manually (which I HATE to do) as java upgrades seem to be stalled
> > like a barnacle on a wooden hull. Ric
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/6339/how-do-i-install-the-latest-stable-
> version-of-firefox/6348#6348

Thanks, I got it running later on... plus I have java 7 installed. It's
quite a speed improvement over the Ubuntu standard sun-java install,
too. I used this howto...
http://codeslinger.posterous.com/how-to-install-java-7-on-ubuntu

This guy knows what he's writing about, for a change. The only part he
left out was chasing around in system preferences for file associations
related to java, which I had to edit as well. THEN it works like a charm
once you have them pointing to the new jdk-7  locations.  Ric

Linux user# 44256