Trying to Load Ubuntu 11.04 onto HP Laptop. Failed at reboot

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 10:19:42 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Peter Fitzpatrick
<Peter at fitzpatrick.net.au> wrote:

> Have tried the commands you suggested. Failed at the insmod command as
> follows;
>
> List starts with machine just rebooted: Note that the machine currently has
> the 10.04 LTS version installed (or partly so)
>
> Error: out of disk
> Grub rescue> set prefix=(hd0,1)/boot/grub
> Grub rescue> insmod (hd0,1)/boot/grub/normal.mod
> Error: out of disk
> Grub rescue> normal
> Unknown command 'normal'
> Grub rescue> cat (hd0,1)/etc/lsb-release
> Unknown command 'cat'
> Grub rescue> search -f /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> Unknown command 'search'
> Grub rescue> search -f vmlinuz
> Unknown command 'search'
> Grub rescue> ls
> (hd0) (hd0,1)
> Grub rescue> set
> Prefix=(hd0,1)/boot/grub
> Root=hd0,1
> Grub rescue>

Given this output and the above "set" resulting in "hd0,1" (and not
"hd0,1), try (I'm assuming that you don't have a separate "/boot"
since (hd0) has just one partition; isn't there a swap partition?):

grub rescue> set prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub
grub rescue> set root=(hd0,msdos1)
grub rescue> insmod (hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub/normal.mod
grub rescue> normal
grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img
grub> boot