Time format

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 20:47:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 16:40, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/8/23 Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>:
>> On 23 August 2011 18:31, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I thought that since people say things like ”…you have 72 hours…”,
>>> there is not a word for 24 hours, but obviously there is, just not a
>>> good one, or at least not good enough for people to use it… :)  :P
>>
>> Day is used and is generally not ambiguous.  Most would say 3 days
>> rather than 72 hours and in this context is not ambiguous.  In fact I
>> cannot think of an example where it would not be obvious by context.
>>
>> Colin
>
> So if you say, for example, 1½ day, you always mean 36 hours?
>
> Sorry for kind of hi-jacking this thread.

I do... to me, 1 1/2 day == 36 hours, 2 days = 48, etc.

The only ambiguity I ever really notice is when talking in business terms.

For example, if a business says 10 day turnaround, they mean 10
business days, which is actually at least 12 calendar days, since
business days are only M - F.  But if I say I'll have something done
in 2 days, I mean 2 days, or 48 hours.