Need Help

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 11 19:12:25 UTC 2011

On 08/10/2011 04:16 AM, Emmanuel Natalis wrote:
> You're using a server version, so you have not installed any desktop -
> gnome, kde, etc, right?
>
>> And you are not getting any prompt like
>> emmanuael>   or login>    ?  (is your monitor set too dark?)
>>
>> Then at the linux line of grub menu, add "gfxmode=640x480" (without
>> apostrophes) and try to boot up.
>>
>> Regards - Goh Lip
>>

> Thanks Goh
>
> Yes am using server version so no  desktop installed. When booting the
> machine, it was reaching in the stage where you can select normal booting or
> recovery mode. I was able to login using the recovery mode but after
> skipping some of the stages. When you leave it to boot in the normal way, it
> becomes black and it just stays that way. I have tried to uncomment the line
> which starts with GRUB_GFXMODE in /etc/default/grub (When am in recovery
> mode) and run the command update-grub. I tried to boot again but this time I
> cannot even see the boot grub options i.e normal boot, recovery mod - It
> just becomes black.  Should this line gfxmode="640x480" be added in the grub
> file i.e /etc/default/grub? But I dont know how can I go to the recovery
> mode again as i dont see again the boot options.

A fresh install most likely does not have all the updates applied. When
you boot to recovery mode run the 'dpkg' option. Then continue to boot
to the terminal & update/upgrade:

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Then check the install again for broken/missed packages:

$ sudo apt-get install -f
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a