Infiniband Configuration Problems on 11.04 Server

David Pusch pusch.david at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 11 08:08:56 UTC 2011

Dear Community,
I work at an IT firm and was tasked with setting up an Infiniband network. As of now this consists of 2 Servers, each with a Mellanox Technologies MT25204 card, connected by a cable.
I installed the userspace drivers and the ofed drivers, added the following to my /etc/modules:

rdma_ucm
ib_sa
ib_cm
ib_umad
ib_addr
ib_uverbs
ib_ipoib
ib_ipath
ib_qib
ib_sdp
ib_mthca

but when I try to start opensm it gives me this error message:Error from osm_opensm_bind (0x2A)
Perhaps another instance of OpenSM is already running"

As well ibstat gives this output:
CA 'mthca0'
CA type: MT25204
Number of ports: 1
Firmware version: 1.2.0
Hardware version: a0
Node GUID: 0x0008f10403992be0
System image GUID: 0x0008f10403992be3
Port 1:
State: Initializing
Physical state: LinkUp
Rate: 10
Base lid: 0
LMC: 0
SM lid: 0
Capability mask: 0x02510a68
Port GUID: 0x0008f10403992be1

I would guess that something is inherently wrong as the adapter should most probably not be remaining in an Initializing stat.
Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance.

--
David Pusch