Keyboard Usability

Horton fghorton at knology.net
Wed Aug 10 23:26:44 UTC 2011

On 08/10/2011 06:09 PM, Steve Flynn wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:03 AM, Horton <fghorton at knology.net
> <mailto:fghorton at knology.net>> wrote:
>
>     First. Ubuntu is great, and I've enjoyed it a lot so far.
>
>     But, I have problem trying to move from Windows.
>
>     My hands are partially crippled. To use the keyboard as fast as I
>     need, I have to swap some keys around.
>     On Windows I use Auto Hotkey. What is the Ubuntu equivalent?
>

> Maybe some of these will have the functionality you need - can't say
> for definite though; not needed AHK anywhere other than work.

> Steve

I looked at that.
"xbindkeys <http://www.nongnu.org/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html> is a program
that allows you to launch shell commands with your keyboard or your
mouse under X Window"

I only use most simple function of Auto Hotkeys, not create macros or
start programs.

I think I must change the key mapping. I tried to understand xmodmap and
xkeycap, but can't make them work.