Problems with ubuntu 11.04

Jeff Lane jeff at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 10 19:11:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 07:54, Andrew <andy.allen at virgin.net> wrote:

> so that I could restore everything. I haven't tried 'upgrading' because
> I assume it's better to have a clean, new installation but I'm willing
> to be convinced otherwise. The thing is, since I've been using linux
> I've gone from RedHat (6 then 9), CentOS (4 to 5), now ubuntu, so I've
> rather got used to re-installing!

In a previous life, I would have agreed with you, but linux upgrades
(especially with Ubuntu) have been (mostly) pain free for a long time.
 My primary workstation started off with 9.10 and has been inline
upgraded ever since: 9.10 -> 10.04 LTS -> 10.10 -> 11.04 and I've yet
to experience any real problems.

The only issues I've suffered were due to custom configurations and
packages that didn't update because I'd installed from source rather
than packaged versions... otherwise, it's been pretty pain free.

Keep in mind that that's just been my personal experience, and I'm
sure  that for every pain free upgrade I've done there's at least 100
people with some sort of complaint (some legitimate, some not), so
YMMV and all that stuff.

Good luck!

Jeff