Install of java jdk failed

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Wed Aug 10 14:39:22 UTC 2011

On 08/10/2011 01:47 AM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 22:05 -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> I tried installing sun-java6-jdk on Ubuntu 10.04 using Synaptic.  The
>> instructions I followed said that I would have to accept the license, an
>> entry would be in system-->admin and the files would be in /usr/lib/jvm.
>>    None of that happened.
>>
>> What do I need to do to fix this?
>
> The first time you install it, with synaptic, you have to have the
> comments (or whatever the heck it's called) window open when it gets to
> the point of installing files. That's when the license announce comes
> up. Tricky bit, too. It's easy to mess up, but just try again, that's
> free. Or, since you already have the file in /var/cache/apt/archives
> apt-get install packagename should do the trick, too. $:) Ric

Ric,

I'm not sure what window you mean even after looking through all of
synaptics settings.  Marking it for reinstallation and looking for a way
to open another window to see the license agreement was unsuccessful.

Here is the results of apt-get:

$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
sun-java6-jdk is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.

I did notice that in Applications-->System tools I have something called
Sun Java 6 VisualVM but I don't know how long that has been there.

Regards,  Jim