Problems with ubuntu 11.04

Andrew andy.allen at virgin.net
Wed Aug 10 11:54:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 21:03 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On 9 August 2011 18:31, Andrew <andy.allen at virgin.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 13:32 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> >
> Following on from what others have said, did you upgrade in one go or
> in steps?  If you upgraded in one go (and I don't know how you could
> do that) then you may be in trouble.

Hi Colin,
Again thanks for the helpful reply - I probably misled you when I said I
'upgraded' to 11.04. Actually, I downloaded the 11.04 iso and burned a
new CD from it and used it to re-install, completely erasing the old
version (9.10). Obviously I'd backed up all my data and email stuff etc
so that I could restore everything. I haven't tried 'upgrading' because
I assume it's better to have a clean, new installation but I'm willing
to be convinced otherwise. The thing is, since I've been using linux
I've gone from RedHat (6 then 9), CentOS (4 to 5), now ubuntu, so I've
rather got used to re-installing!
So presumably having installed a new OS (11.04) everything should work
fine, unless my hardware (RAM) is in fact limiting performance.

Andy