Need Help

Emmanuel Natalis matnatalis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 11:16:46 UTC 2011

You're using a server version, so you have not installed any desktop -
gnome, kde, etc, right?

> And you are not getting any prompt like
> emmanuael>   or login>    ?  (is your monitor set too dark?)
>
> Then at the linux line of grub menu, add "gfxmode=640x480" (without
> apostrophes) and try to boot up.
>
> Regards - Goh Lip

Thanks Goh

Yes am using server version so no  desktop installed. When booting the
machine, it was reaching in the stage where you can select normal booting or
recovery mode. I was able to login using the recovery mode but after
skipping some of the stages. When you leave it to boot in the normal way, it
becomes black and it just stays that way. I have tried to uncomment the line
which starts with GRUB_GFXMODE in /etc/default/grub (When am in recovery
mode) and run the command update-grub. I tried to boot again but this time I
cannot even see the boot grub options i.e normal boot, recovery mod - It
just becomes black.  Should this line gfxmode="640x480" be added in the grub
file i.e /etc/default/grub? But I dont know how can I go to the recovery
mode again as i dont see again the boot options.

--
Emmanuel Natalis
Open Source Software Developer