Bluetooth stopped working recently?

Stephen Kuhn yank.down.under at gmx.com
Mon Aug 8 20:08:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 21:06 +0200, Josef Wolf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had bluetooth working fine for several years on two laptops here. Last time
> I used it, (2011-08-03) it worked like a charm. I haven't done any changes
> on those laptops except running "aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade".
>
> Since then, neither hciconfig nor "hcitool dev" shows me any BT devices.
>
> I am pretty much sure this is not a hardware problem, since the hardware of
> the laptops is pretty much different (one has built-in BT, on the other I
> use an external USB dongle) and they both stopped working at about the same
> time. And when I boot the grml live-cd, hciconfig happily shows me the BT
> device.
>
> One of the laptops is running Ubuntu-10.10, the other one is running
> Ubuntu-11.04.
>
> Any ideas?

On a desktop machine I use for multimedia/movies/entertainment, I have
to remove the dongle, reboot, wait for the machine to get to the Gnome
desktop, then plug the dongle back in - then it works like a champ. A
bit of a "work-around", but it's happily using an Apple wireless/BT
keyboard and can access my phone. I think it's just a matter of the
module(s) not wanting to load properly...

--
yankdownunder
reg'd linux user #267497