Remote LPD print

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sun Aug 7 21:28:56 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-07 at 15:19 -0400, molaxp at aol.com wrote:
> How you shared that printer?

Yes, I was tearing my hair out over this a couple of years ago. If the
printer is connected to a headless server like mine is, you can't log in
locally and use the CUPS web browser interface to do your setting up
because there is no GUI.

And, you can't by default log in remotely on port 631 because that by
default is prohibited. So you have to go in as administrator by ssh and
do some text editing:-

According to my notes there are three files that need to be checked,
browse.conf, cupsd.conf and ports.conf.

But browse.conf and ports.conf appear to no longer be present on my
server, but then the notes were taken when I was running Dapper :-)
Have they been removed from CUPS, anybody?

The actual cupsd.conf file from my current server contains this first
section which might be all that you need:-
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
LogLevel warn
MaxLogSize 1m
SystemGroup adm
# Share local printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseRemoteProtocols
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS dnssd
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  # Allow shared printing and remote administration...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow all
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  # Allow remote administration...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow all
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  # Allow remote access to the configuration files...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow all
</Location>

Then I think what you need to do is:-
sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart

I think that's all you have to do. I was helped out myself to do this,
either here or on the Kubuntu list.

Then you should be able to use a web browser to go into your server on
port 631, use the administrator ID and alter the CUPS settings to
service your printer and make it available to the rest of the network.
If I recall correctly, you have to set the server to advertise its
printers, AND set your clients to use remote printers, both using the
web browser interface. Then, any time you want to print from an
application, your printers should magically appear.

Dave