nvidia driver enabling in 11.04?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 7 07:10:48 UTC 2011

On 07/08/11 16:28, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-08-07 at 15:56 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> I'm sure it has a name, (DVI-I) but it's just a plug that converts the
>>> digital out to analog. I plug the 2nd LCD monitor into that. Works a
>>> charm. I'm set for one display that spans both monitors, in twinview
>>> mode. You set that with nVidia X Server setup and then, using KDE, I use
>>> it's screen set up tool to agree with the X server setup and it "just
>>> works". But, I had to use the nVidia util first so I could write my
>>> xorg.conf file. Ric
>>
>> Right.
>>
>> So both LCD monitors are using the analog signal and not the digital signal.
> You hit the nail on the proverbial head. Both analog. It's sweet. I hope
> to run 4 displays before long. :) Ric

My attempt at being subtle seems to have been too subtle :-) .

Most people see an LCD monitor as being a digital-signal beast so that
when people talk about being able to have 2 LCD monitors running on a
card such as the FX 5500 there is an assumption made that it is being
done with digital connection(s); and add to that the reference to
Xorg.conf and creating this mystical file via various incantations
normally used by shamans, practitioners of voodoo, and Ubuntu users (who
also use KDE), then the waters are muddied for those seeking "the light"
:-) .

And now you speaketh of running 4 monitors!

Is they going to be digitally 'stimulated'?

BC

--
"To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge."
                            Confucius