Unity Compatibility Problems

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 17:58:45 UTC 2011

On 4 August 2011 17:37, Graham Stacy <gleestacy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have an Acer notebook with Ubuntu 11.04 on it, both Unity and Gnome work fine on it but when I've tried to install 11.04 on some of my desktops (mainly HPs) I've consistently received a message saying Unity will not function and I have to use Ubuntu Classic. Does anybody know how to get Unity to work on any Linux compatible desktops.

If you don't have OpenGL-capable graphics, ordinary Unity will not work.

First, install any available graphics drivers for your graphics controller.

If this does not help, go into the Software Centre and install
"unity-2d". That will get the identical-looking but slightly different
and immature Qt-based 2D version of Unity that does not require a 3D
graphics card - although it works best with a good fast 2D one.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com