Let's get our hand dirty (aka discover Unity)

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sat Apr 30 15:52:59 UTC 2011

OK, so I've booted 11.04. I'm running it from the CD on a netbook so I'm not
going to discuss speed issues.

So:

a) it looks childish good, with big icons "a la iPhone". I don't think I would
like that on my desktop, but it sure feels spacy on a netbook.

b) some weirdness: I fired Libreoffice Writer. It loads full screen (you don't
see Unity's side bar any more), the menus don't go in the "title bar" (but
the windows icons do, the LO menus create a second bar under). Now if you
choose View/Full Screen, it actually does the opposite: it comes in a window
and the Side Bar reappears. Funy.

c) I can't logout. First I thought it was because there is only one user in
the "try Ubuntu" CD mode, so I created another user. Still only  Suspend,
Hibernate, restart and Sutdown in the menu. Is this a limitation of the CD
mode?

d) Is there a Unity handbook? I looked at unity.ubuntu.com but found nothing.
Only the help included in Unity itself. Seems to me I'd need more than that
to start feeling comfortable with the UI.

Bottom line: don't switch to Unity if you need your computer for productive
work, you may need some time to get efficient with the new UI

Thierry