running Ubuntu off USB stick and retaining settings?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Apr 30 13:23:01 UTC 2011

stan wrote:
> How can I set up a USB stick so that I can boot my machine into
> Ubuntu off of it, and preserve setings changes I amke while running
> fo the next reboot?

You can install Ubuntu to the USB stick like an installation on the
harddisk. Then your settings should be preserved over reboots. But make
a backup of your data on the USB stick first, because you should format
it with ext2/3/4 during the installation. An advantage over a live USB
system is update the system and that you can also install additional
packages and if needed.

Nils