Getting rid of Unity?

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Sat Apr 30 05:51:01 UTC 2011

Sandy!

On 30/04/2011 05:44, Sandy Harris wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon at envygeeks.com> wrote:
>> On 4/29/2011 9:25 PM, Sandy Harris wrote:
>>> I installed Natty on one machine this morning and, at least on first
>>> impression, I detest Unity. This might get better over time, but who
>>> knows? I have no desire to wait and see; I want Unity gone, now.
>> Login with Ubuntu Classic.
> Thanks! Problem solved.
>
> It took a bit of web search. Then go to the Unity Applications menu,
> search for "system", then click on "login screen" to make the
> change. Instructions here:
> http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/linux-distributions/linux-distributions4-ubuntu/1643-how-to-move-back-from-unity-to-gnome2-classic-in-ubuntu-1104-natty-narwhal

First thing I did as well! Note that from the main login screen, you can
select "Ubuntu Classic" and then from there, go to the Login Screen
administration tool using the old menus... and then set Ubuntu Classic
as the default session.

Not sure I will ever be able to get used to Unity. :)

Turning on the Compiz effects was an interesting challenge as well. Had
to do it in the right order... but it works. My 11.04 now looks like my
old 10.10 but with the updated software, and Libre Office!

Gilles