Ubuntu 11.04 broke my MacBook Pro

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Apr 29 14:33:33 UTC 2011

On 29 April 2011 15:25, Shawn Milochik <shawn at milochik.com> wrote:
> On one of these occasions (flashing question marks) I was able to boot into
> my Ubuntu 11.04 installation media and did a fresh install. However, this
> resulted in the same result as the beginning of this e-mail.

I have a 2009 MacBook Pro 7,1 running Natty.

I believe the question mark means that the Mac can't locate the OS to
boot from. I suspect this may be due to GRUB being installed on the
MBR, when it needs grub-efi.

Did you do a dual boot (with OSX) or clean install?

There is a 'special' image for Macs (I don't know exactly what's
special about it to be honest).

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/11.04/release/

Maybe give that a go?

Cheers,