Unity breaks basic UI principles

Rodrigo López Dato rlopezdato at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 19:26:52 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 14:30, gvim <gvimrc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Apart form being buggy the design breaks fundamental UI principles, the
> most obvious being that I should be able to see menu items in application
> windows without mousing over the title bar.

Pressing ALT shows the menu items, no need to mouseover. Each item has
a letter underlined, which you can press along with ALT to select that
menu.

> Ubuntu think they've gained by hiding menu items like this. It doesn't even
> save space.

Actually, it does save pretty much the space that one of the classic
GNOME2 panels takes up. It works fantastic on my netbook which
1024x600 resolution. You really need all the space possible when
you're working at that resolution, especially vertical space.

> Another thing - I now have to hunt around and search for simple application
> categories like Preferences and Administration. Even then the search results
> seem incomplete compared with 10.10.

I think you're right on this one. Now, you have to open the menu,
select More Apps, then go to the top right and pick what category you
want, then click on See More Results to see them all (which happens
pretty much on every menu).

> The Dock-like sidebar is a good idea - at least now the application icons
> look professional - but it should be configurable. Without options it's just
> an imposition. Ubuntu - stop dictating. Linux is about options.

What exactly do you mean by "configurable"?

Cheers
--
Rodri