Upgrade to Natty - Problem & Disappointment

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 17:23:47 UTC 2011

I have just upgraded to Natty.  It all went well, but on rebooting I
have a Problem and a Disappointment.

The Problem is that the Grub menu isn't displayed, nor is the Ubuntu
splash screen.  All I get is a message from the monitor telling me to
change the setting to '1280 X 1024 60Hz' and then it goes to sleep.  It
wakes up just before the login screen.  Is there a grub setting I need.
I think I used to have a VGA setting, but that may have been with Legacy
Grub. Any ideas?  I need the Grub menu to be able to boot into Windows
every once in a while to do the things I cannot do with Ubuntu.

The Disappointment is that it says I have not got the hardware to run
Unity.  This is despite running Unity from a USB stick with the final
Beta on it for the past week.  Why is that?  This is what lspci -vv says
about my graphics:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon
Xpress 200] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a3d
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 64 (2000ns min), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
	Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Region 1: I/O ports at b000 [size=256]
	Region 2: Memory at feaf0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Expansion ROM at feac0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: radeon
	Kernel modules: radeon

Tony