How to boot up Ubuntu 10.10 (grub not installed on MBR)?

Ryan Wang openspace.wang at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 14:53:06 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have only on disk on my notebook, about 150 GB.
I allocated the first 50 GB to Windows XP, and then
installed Ubuntu 10.10 from USB to the last 100 GB
with boot loader installed on /dev/sda5 (/boot partition).

After reboot, I cannot see Ubuntu. Then I tried to boot
from USB without installing, and did:
     dd if=/dev/sda5 of=ubuntu.bin count=512 count=1
Then I copied the ubuntu.bin to Windows XP C:\ubuntu.bin
and added it in the boot.ini "C:\ubuntu.bin="Ubuntu 10.10"".

After reboot, I can see the item "Ubuntu 10.10", but on
enter, it said "Load error" and failed to bootup.

Any one can give me some tips to solve it?

thanks,