Fully compatible with Microsoft Office?

Ioannis Vranos cppdeveloper at ontelecoms.gr
Thu Apr 28 13:27:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 14:24 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >From the ubuntu.com website: "Our office applications, for example,
> are fully compatible with Microsoft Office and have everything you
> need to create professional documents."
> http://www.ubuntu.com/business/desktop/windows-compatible
>
> Is this referring to LibreOffice? Some other office suite? LibreOffice
> certainly is _not_ "fully compatible" with MS Office. It works pretty
> good for most formatting on older MSO file formats, but anything
> complex shows errors. Not to mention the newest MSO file formats, and
> popular essential addons such as Mathtype.

Currently I am using OpenOffice.Org 3.2.1, and if you save your document
in the "Word 97/2000/XP" format, it generally loads OK in Office 2010
(including the Math formulas).

I am saying "generally" just to be on the safe side, I do not remember
an occasion that it didn't load OK.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net