Explain to me again why Unity is so great...

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 22:33:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon at envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On 4/27/2011 5:11 PM, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> With Sounder shut down and 11.04 *AND* Unity around the corner, this
>> list's become the everything-Ubuntu list...
>
> Yeah but do you want them to come down with the hammer like they did to
> sounder? I mean everybody saw it coming for sounder and we can almost
> see it coming for this list too even though they'll most likely just
> enforce some sort of penalty volcano at first.

I've never been a member of sounder but, from what's been posted here
about it's shutdown, it was closed because of criticism of Israel. If
this was the real reason, I don't understand why the offending posters
couldn't have been moderated rather than shut down the entire list. If
the real reason was criticism of Unity (and Israel was the excuse),
then Canonical's shooting itself in the foot because you have to be
ready for harsh criticism and willing to accept it when you're
proposing to change people's long-term DE habits. Look at how much
whining there's been here and elsewhere about Network Manager; it's
basically died out. And the same applies to grub2. Those were small
aspects of the OS; Unity's a change of the whole enchilada so it's
going to be an uphill struggle for Canonical to have it accepted - and
to look beyond their inevitably wounded egos and fix the valid issues
that users raise in the coming months. If sounder's not available,
this list'll have to be the one (unfortunately because I'd rather have
it limited to technical issues).