Explain to me again why Unity is so great... <OT>

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 19:56:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 15:33, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap at arumes.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 20:30:45 +0200, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

>> As long as Sounder is mentioned on https://lists.ubuntu.com/, I will
>> keep referring to it. If you think that I'm wrong then I suppose that
>> the proper course of action would be to file a bug report, asking for
>> removal of sounder from https://lists.ubuntu.com, or at least add a
>> notice that it has been shut down.
>
> So, your reason for referring to Sounder is its mention on the site
> lists.ubuntu.com. That means that you credit that site with a certain
> level of authority. But according to that page, Sounder is a "random chit-
> chat list". And you want the discussion about the advantages and
> disadvantages of Unity to move to that list.
>
> Somehow I fail to see the logic behind that reasoning. A discussion about
> Ubuntu's primary user interface certainly doesn't belong on a random chit-
> chat list, does it?

I would imagine at least a small portion of Amedee's reasoning is:

sounder - [OBSOLETE] Ubuntu community random chit-chat list

As oppposed to:

ubuntu-users - Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions

A discussion about the pros and cons of Unity is not technical
support.  A discussion that answers the question "How do I do X in
Unity" would be more appropriate.

However, with the closure of sounder, I have a feeling that
ubuntu-users will become more general discussion than technical
support :/